Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Reexamining Technique

I am on a mission to reexamine my technique at the piano, and it feels like I am reteaching myself how to breathe (which is also something I have been trying to do for the sake of singing and breathing deeply during the day).

I tried some things tonight and it was amazing what I noticed! I realized quite a few things:

1) I haven't been adjusting my hand to account for the awkwardness of the index finger, so as a result I was tensing up the forearm in order to "reach" with my index finger

2) I have to work on awareness in regards to exactly when my finger hits the key bed and feel it in my entire arm while allowing the sense of the initiated motion to follow through.

3) I don't know how to free myself up at the collarbone. I suspect it might be the result of looking down too long while I am playing. I am going to explore that more tomorrow.Also my neck and the area around my shoulder blades.

4) I really only have 3-4 hours of "juice" inside me to be at the piano on an average day. I'm starting to wonder what might happen if I start thinking about spending more deliberate time score studying.

Repertoire: Rachmaninoff  op. 32 no. 10 B minor prelude,  Chopin op. 10 no. 1 Etude in C major
Don Giovanni Batti Batti,

Tomorrow: Chopin nocturne and Britten TotS


Also, a motivational article: http://motivationgrid.com/10-things-you-will-have-to-give-up-to-reach-success/

No comments:

Post a Comment